Vitamins and minerals play important roles in the body, but it is possible to get the daily recommended intake of vitamins and minerals by following a balanced diet. However, many nootropic manufacturers include a range of vitamins and minerals, claiming that these will significantly boost cognitive function.
Below we take an in-depth look at Brain Smart Ultra to see how effective it is at improving memory, focus, concentration and attention span.
Brain Smart Ultra is described by the manufacturers as ‘an advanced brain nutrition supplement designed to dramatically improve focus, memory and concentration. The all natural ingredients in BrainSmart Ultra with Cognicetam+TM have been carefully selected and formulated to deliver all the essential elements the brain needs to function at its optimal best.’
Brain Smart Ultra can seemingly cause some side effects, but without knowing the individual ingredient quantities, it is difficult to establish the likelihood of these developing. Side effects from caffeine appear to be the main worry, such as jitters and sleep disturbances. The vitamin and mineral dosages are not provided at all. High doses of some vitamins can cause side effects; consumers should avoid other vitamin and mineral supplements whilst taking this product to minimize the chances of side effects developing. The full list of potential side effects is provided below in the side effects section.
The product does contains Cordyceps Sinensis, which appears to be a good nootropic supplement, but the rest of the ingredients found in Brain Smart Ultra have limited benefits at best. The individual ingredient quantities are not listed, which makes it even more difficult to establish the effectiveness of the supplement.
The reviews on the official website are overwhelmingly positive, but there are complaints on third party review sites that customers who left a negative review had their review rejected, being instructed to leave a more ‘balanced review’. This practice is dodgy and will mislead customers who just read the positive reviews on the website!
Brain Smart Ultra Review
Brain Smart Ultra is a nootropic supplement available exclusively online. The manufacturers claim that the supplement has numerous cognitive benefits, including improving memory, sharpening focus and concentration, boosting mental energy, and improving clarity of thought.
The official website states that Brain Smart Ultra was awarded ‘Brain Supplements of the Year 2015’, but we could not find Brain Smart Ultra on any list or ranking of top nootropics or brain supplements for 2015 at all, let alone at the top.
Brain Smart Ultra is manufactured by Brain Smart Worldwide. The company claim to have offices in numerous countries, but provide no official address for their headquarters. The company can be contacted using the phone numbers provided on their official website, brain-smart.net.
One concern we have about this supplement is that the amounts of vitamins and minerals used per capsule are not provided at all, either as a percentage of the RDA, or as a unit. This is unhelpful for the consumer, but also appears to be in violation of the FDA’s regulations on supplements which state:
You are only required to declare [the vitamin dosage] when they are added to the product for purposes of supplementation, or if you make a claim about them.
Brain Smart Ultra’s manufacturers have included these ingredients for the purposes of supplementation, and have made claims about the benefits of each vitamin and mineral used in the nootropic.
How to Take Brain Smart Ultra
The instructions provided for Brain Smart Ultra are vague, merely stating ‘2 capsules daily, preferably with meals’. Because this product contains an unknown amount of caffeine, we recommend taking it at breakfast or at lunch time. Consumers should not take this supplement in the evening as it can disturb sleep patterns.
This lack of detailed information means that we have no idea how much of each vitamin and mineral is in each capsule; on the one hand, the doses could be very small, and unlikely to have any positive impact upon the consumer’s health, but on the other hand, the doses could be high, and likely to cause side effects.
Brain Smart Ultra Concerns:
- Manufacturers do not allow negative reviews to be posted on official website
- Returns only available for first-time buyers
- No money back guarantee
The official website also continually mentions that Brain Smart Ultra contains ‘cognicetam’, but fails to detail exactly what this is. Our research indicates that it is purely the name of the product’s proprietary formula. The name appears to be a portmanteau of cognition and racetam; racetams are a group of drugs, some of which act as nootropics. Cognicetam appears to be a promotional word that the manufacturers hope sounds technical enough to convince potential customers to purchase the product, but in reality, it means little.
There are also inconsistencies on the official website- the bottle states 800 mg, but the supplement facts state 1125 mg per two capsules serving.
What Does Brain Smart Ultra Claim To Do?
The manufacturers have stated that Brain Smart Ultra has the following benefits:
- Improves Short and Long Term Memory
- Sharpens Focus, Concentration and Attention Span
- Increases Mental Energy and Clarity of Thought
- Promotes Healthy Brain Performance
Does Brain Smart Ultra Work?
Cordyceps Sinensis is the main ingredient found in Brain Smart Ultra; there are numerous studies that suggest that it could help both brain function and physical performance during exercise. Studies in mice suggest that it could help to improve learning memory. It appears to improve the body’s utilisation of oxygen, which could help the consumer to feel more focused, more awake, and more energetic.
However, the other ingredients used in Brain Smart Ultra have less or no clinical support linking them with improved brain function. Caffeine will increase alertness and energy levels temporarily, but is not strictly considered a nootropic. Chlorella has no clinical support linking it with any particular benefits, other than it being a good source of vitamins and minerals. Coenzyme Q10 does have some benefits, including being an antioxidant, but again, is not linked with improved cognitive function in any way.
Overall, we are not convinced that Brain Smart Ultra is a very strong or effective nootropic supplement.
What Are The Ingredients of Brain Smart Ultra?
The ingredients used in Brain Smart Ultra are detailed below. The product consists of a proprietary formula, and so individual ingredient quantities are not listed. Each serving of two capsules contains 1125 mg of the proprietary blend. The quantities of the vitamins and minerals used in this supplement are also not referenced.
Proprietary Cognicetam+TM Formula 1125 mg
- Cordyceps-Sinensis Extract: This ingredient is a parasitic fungus that grows on caterpillar larvae in some regions of India. It has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. There is limited evidence linking this ingredient with improved athletic performance and endurance. It may also boost the immune system, improve cognition and act as a mood enhancer.
- Chlorella (from Green Algae): a type of fresh water algae. The composition of this ingredient can vary hugely, and it appears that there are no proven benefits from using the product regularly, beyond chlorella being a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- Coenzyme Q10: This coenzyme is found naturally in some foods and can be synthesized in the liver. Cells in the body ‘use it to produce energy your body needs for cell growth and maintenance. It also functions as an antioxidant, which protects the body from damage caused by harmful molecules.’ It is also thought to boost energy levels and speed up recovery from exercise.
- Guarana Extract: A berry that is naturally high in caffeine, it is often an ingredient in energy drinks and diet pills.
- Caffeine (from Guarana): Numerous studies have shown that caffeine boosts energy levels and alertness, as well as mildly boosting the metabolism. The effects shown in studies are small, and some studies are inconclusive.
- Omega-3 Powder: Omega-3 fatty acids are essential nutrients that are important in preventing and managing heart disease.
Findings show omega-3 fatty acids may help to:
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce triglycerides
- Slow the development of plaque in the arteries
- Reduce the chance of abnormal heart rhythm
- Reduce the likelihood of heart attack and stroke
- Lessen the chance of sudden cardiac death in people with heart disease
- Green Tea Extract: Green tea is high in a group of antioxidants called catechins. Studies have suggested that catechins increase thermogenesis in the body, whilst caffeine increases energy expenditure by boosting the metabolism slightly for few hours.
- Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 has several important functions in the body, including ‘allowing the body to use and store energy from protein and carbohydrates in food’.
- Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 has several roles in the body, including aiding in releasing energy from consumed food, and keeping the nervous system healthy. Taking excess amounts could be, according to the NHS, potentially harmful.
- Vitamin B3: Vitamin B3, or Niacin, is responsible for helping to produce energy from consumed food, as well as helping keep the nervous and digestive systems healthy. Niacin can be easily sourced in adequate amounts from a balanced diet. Persistent excessive consumption of niacin has been linked with increased rates of obesity in American Children.
Does Brain Smart Ultra Have Any Side Effects?
Some of the ingredients used in Brain Smart Ultra could potentially cause some side effects. Because the individual ingredient quantities are not listed, it is unclear just how likely it is that any side effects would develop. One concern we have is that the supplement contains numerous vitamins and minerals, but does not state the doses at all. Over-supplementing vitamins and minerals can cause a range of side effects, and so we recommend that consumers do not take any other multi-vitamin supplements whilst taking this supplement.
Reported side effects from supplementing Cordyceps Sinensis include nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth and mild stomach upset. Clinical trials in humans are still in preliminary stages, and so it is possible that other side effects could be caused by Cordyceps Sinensis, that have not yet been reported.
Side effects of caffeine can include headaches, increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, heart palpitations, increased urination, dehydration, jitteriness, dizziness and insomnia. Green tea can cause constipation.
Do not use if pregnant or nursing. Do not use if you are under the age of 18. Consult with a health care practitioner before taking this or any nutritional supplement if you have or suspect a medical condition or if you are taking any medications, whether over the counter or prescription.
Are There Any Customer Reviews For Brain Smart Ultra?
There are numerous positive customer reviews on the official website, but we have found evidence that the company reject negative customer reviews (allowing only what they refer to as ‘balanced’ reviews, which are actually just positive reviews). Therefore the reviews provided on the official website are not fully representative of customer opinions. The reviews we have included below are taken from Trust Pilot, a third party review website.
I bought this product for my adult son who has ADHD and it has really helped his concentration. He would recommend it.
I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1991 and I took Ritalin for a couple of years, but the side effects were just awful. I am a professional and I still have problems with symptoms associated with ADHD so looking for a comparable alternative without the side effects has been many years in the making. Then I found Brain Smart and what an amazing difference this has made to my life! I can concentrate, I can focus for longer periods of time, and life doesn’t seem so overwhelming. And the best part, NO side effects. This is the best thing I have ever found – I highly recommend it!
My entire life, I have had concentration issues. I have had issues with focus, and staying in conversations. In addition, reading was almost my worst enemy. I would have to read things sometimes four or five times. Since I’ve been taking Brain Smart, I am retaining and understanding more information than ever. If this would have been around twenty years ago, I would have went from being a straight “C” student to an “A” Student.
I am in final months of working on my Bachelors Degree online with the University of Phoenix. I am looking forward to pursuing a Masters Degree and being able to not only read the information once, but to truly retain my lesson’s.
If anyone is suffering with concentration issues, you have found your solution. I trust and believe in the product so much, the changes it has made in my life, not even doctors could figure out. Give this a shot, you will not regret it.
I bought 3 bottles or brain-smart Ultra as I am studying and looking for a healthy edge, however I should have returned after the 30 days really but still hoping for the best but NOTHING more than a vitamin pill.
After reading so many biased reviews it seems a no brainer to purchase for the gullible like me but definitely zero improvement on short term memory, on medium term memory, zero improvement in focus as my job is in a private office on a pc most of the day, its as difficult now as always.
The product states it contains COGNICETAM but this does not come up on a google search except a similar product (Cognitam) that is for brain stimulation/ADHD, but this is not that.
Writing a balanced review has proven difficult so was asked for proof of purchase and to expand to discuss the service as they were not approving a negative review. So; Quality of service cannot compensate for a useless product but brain-smart have written to me since and I wrote back to ask how I also add a balanced review to their site, they have yet to respond.
However they did dispatch the product if that is deemed as service. Again as stated I have 1.5 bottles of caffeine stimulants left.
My review is my personal objections as proven with copies of my product purchases!!!
Does Brain Smart Ultra Offer a Money-Back Guarantee?
Brain Smart offer a 30 day returns period, starting from the date that the product was ordered. This is only available for first time customers- anyone who has done a repeat order will not qualify for a refund. It appears that they will accept back one opened bottle, but any additional bottles must be unopened and sealed.
Below are some of the limitations they have placed upon their returns policy:
1. Your return must arrive back to us within thirty (30) days of your original order date. Any return orders arriving after the 30 days has expired cannot be accepted by our warehouse.
2. If you ordered more than one bottle… …you must return the additional bottles in an unopened condition – within the same 30 day period.
3. Please contact us for a Return Merchandise number (RMA). Your number will be issued via email and will be necessary to complete the return and refund.
4. Once you receive an RMA number please package your return and write the return order number clearly on the package. Please note that we will not be able to offer a refund on partially returned orders, so make sure that everything is there.
5. Please ship the package with your RMA number, using a trackable service with the RMA number clearly written on the package to the return address we will provide. Any return orders sent without a tracking number cannot be accepted by our warehouse.
Due to the generous nature of our return policy we do strictly enforce the following terms and conditions: Shipping charges are non-refundable. In the event that a “free shipping” item is returned, the cost of 1st Class Postage will be deducted from the final credit to cover all shipping costs and processing.
Re-order constitutes satisfaction and voids the guarantee. All customers must contact customer service before returning your product. Returned products without a return authorization number will be refused.
Where Can I Buy Brain Smart Ultra?
Brain Smart Ultra can be purchased from the official Brain Smart website, with a single bottle costing £28.89 or $37.47 plus delivery charges. There is also a three for two offer available. Consumers should add three bottles to their cart, and add the discount code ‘FREEULTRA’ to get this discount.