Super Alpha Calm Review
Super Alpha Calm includes a number of popular herbs, which puts people under the impression that the product is going to work. However that is not the case, because there is insufficient scientific evidence suggesting that the blend used in Super Alpha Calm works.
It contains passionflower, which has been used as a calming herb for ages. There is some evidence that it contains compounds effective against insomnia, anxiety, hysteria, and seizures. It is supposed to work by increasing the levels GABA, which is the neurotransmitter responsible for making you feel relaxed. The real issue is that most studies conducted on passionflower have also used other ingredients, which is why it is not possible to say for sure that passionflower can help reduce anxiety and promote better sleep.
Some animal studies have shown some promise though. For instance, a study conducted in mice showed that the flavonoids passionflower might help reduce anxiety symptoms. Another study showed supplementing with passionflower helped rats sleep better. However, it is not always possible to replicate the same results in humans. Moreover, many human studies are not reliable to confirm that passionflower is actually beneficial.
- A 2007 review of two older studies with 198 people, compared the ability of passionflower and two drugs to reduce anxiety. It concluded that the three substances had about the same degree of minimal effectiveness; however, the researchers noted that the small number of studies don’t allow clear conclusions to be drawn.
Here is another example:
- A more recent review suggests that the majority of passionflower studies in people for any condition have serious flaws and, therefore, do not support its use. Source
Another potential problem with passionflower supplementation, is that it contains alkaloids belonging to a toxic alkaloid subgroup. The presence of these alkaloids in passionflower means that you should be very careful regarding how much you take. Since Super Alpha Calm uses a proprietary blend, it is not possible to confirm exactly how much of passionflower is there in each serving.
Hawthorn berry is another ingredient found in Super Alpha Calm. The only reason supplement manufacturers believe that hawthorn berry can help improve memory and overall skin quality, is that it contains antioxidants, such as quercetin and OPCs. Scientists believe that antioxidants help eliminate free radicals from your body, and prevent oxidative damage to cells. This in turn slows down the aging process, and prevents a number of health problems. It is true that antioxidants have their benefits, but many studies have also shown that taking them in a supplement form is not going to prove that effective. They work best when obtained from dietary sources, and that is mainly because fruits and vegetables provide you with other vitamins and minerals as well.
It is also important to bear in mind that taking more than needed can make hawthorn a lot more dangerous. However, it is necessary to take it on a long term basis to see its results, which puts you at an increased risk of developing side effects.
- One review of 29 clinical studies with more than 5,500 people, found that hawthorn was safe when used in recommended dosages. Doses found to be safe were from 160 to 1,800 mg daily, and from 3 to 24 weeks in length. You may not notice any improvement for 6 to 12 weeks.
The problem is that Super Alpha Calm uses a proprietary blend, so it is not possible to confirm exactly how much of this ingredient is available per serving.
Lemon balm is also there in this dietary supplement. It is supposed to help induce calmness and improve cognition. Some evidence is available to support the benefits of lemon balm, but it is not enough to draw any firm conclusion.
- Quality of memory improved, although working memory had no significant effect from Lemon Balm supplementation, and the speed of neural processing was reduced in many parameters. Source
One big issue is that most studies conducted to check the benefits of lemon balm have included other ingredients in the blend, which is why it is hard to say anything about the efficacy of lemon balm. For instance:
- A study published in the June 2006 issue of “Phytomedicine” evaluated the effectiveness of an herbal preparation combining Valerian and lemon balm in 918 children under 12 years old. These children were experiencing restlessness and dyskoimesis, or difficulty falling asleep. The herbal preparation led to a distinct decrease in severity of all symptoms as rated by the investigators and the parents. Restlessness and sleep difficulty decreased from moderate or severe to mild or absent in most of these children. Nearly 81 percent experienced sleep improvement, and about 70 percent were less restless.
How to Take Super Alpha Calm
You have to take 2 capsules of Super Alpha Calm at least twice a day to see its effects.
Some studies have found positive effects, but only when you take larger doses of lemon balm. For instance
- In another double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 18 healthy volunteers received 2 separate single doses of a standardized lemon balm extract (300 mg and 600 mg) or placebo for 7 days. The 600 mg dose of lemon balm increased mood, and significantly increased calmness and alertness.
It means that you might notice change in mood with improved alertness when you take up to 600mg a day. There is no way to confirm that each serving of Super Alpha Calm is going to provide you with this much. Therefore, it is better to avoid it in the first place.
California poppy is another herb found in Super Alpha Calm. It is supposed to work because it contains bioactive alkaloids responsible for improving cognition. The biggest issue is that the herb is still in the exploratory stages of research. For instance:
- In the preliminary stages of research, the unique alkaloid profile of California Poppy appears to interact with a variety of receptors in potent ways. The vast majority of these leads have not been further investigated, and conclusions (especially on Serotonin) cannot be drawn at this point in time.
Only some animal studies have shown some promise. Two rat studies have noticed its anxiolytic and sedatory actions, whereas there is no reliable human study to confirm the use of California poppy to induce calmness or reduce stress. Even animal studies have found results after administering very large doses of California poppy. For instance:
- Animal studies on anxiety with California Poppy (aqueous extract) show benefit with 25mg/kg daily. 200mg/kg of a 60% aqueous extract (injections) appears to have anxiolytic properties in animals, as well with nonsignificantly different potency when compared to 2mg/kg Midozolam (although it trended to be weaker).
It is not possible to replicate the same dosages in humans, so you are less likely to experience any benefits of Super Alpha Calm.
You will also find lavender in Super Alpha Calm. Many experts are of the view that lavender helps improve mood, reduce anxiety, and relieve gastrointestinal problems. It is true that lavender is known for its anxiety-reducing properties, but these effects are observed in aromatherapy only. You cannot find enough scientific evidence suggesting that taking lavender in supplement form will help relax your nerves or make sleep better. Lavender aromatherapy may help reduce levels of cortisol, which in turn makes it easier to manage stress. For instance:
- Addition of low levels of lavender to an infants bath (aromatherapy), noted that both the mother experienced apparent reductions in stress with the infant crying less; both mother and baby had less salivary cortisol after lavender. Source
Super Alpha Calm Concerns:
- Proprietary blend
- Not enough scientific evidence
- Not effective for most people
- Possible side effects
- Quite expensive
It is also important to point out that some experts believe that you may notice benefits of lavender when you take up to 160mg a day. Also, you need to check its linalool content – taking 160mg a day with 25-46% linalool is likely to produce some positive effects. Again, the problem is that Super Alpha Calm contains a proprietary blend of popular herbs, and you cannot find how much of lavender or what percentage of linalool is there in the blend. This is another reason why we believe that you should avoid the supplement in the first place.
Things are quite the same with Petitgrain, which is usually used as essential oil in aromatherapy to induce calmness and reduce stress. You can find some evidence suggesting that using Petitgrain essential oil may help cure insomnia and treat irritations, sudden anger, anxiety, inflammation, and stress. You cannot find sufficient evidence to confirm that taking Petitgrain in a capsule form will produce similar results. You can say the same for bergamot, which is a small citrus fruit used in aromatherapy and perfumery. All its benefits come from its scent, which is quite different from other citrus oils. When used in aromatherapy, bergamot is likely to decrease anxiety, depression, and stress. It may help improve the olfactory system and stimulate the brain to produce dopamine and serotonin that regulate mood. The problem is that it is not going to work in Super Alpha Calm, which offers it in a capsule form.
The fact of the matter is that there is nothing Super Alpha Calm that separates it from other similar supplements. It makes big promises, but you are not going to experience any benefits, mainly because of its proprietary blend and the use of herbs with little scientific evidence. You will be better off paying attention to your diet and lifestyle to manage stress and improve sleep. Using Super Alpha Calm is only going to be a waste of money!
What Does Super Alpha Calm Claim To Do?
Super Alpha Calm is a combination of different herbs, and is supposed to help you in many different ways. Here are some of its claimed benefits:
- Reduces anxiety
- Helps you manage stress more effectively
- Improves your self-confidence
- Improves cognition and brain function
- Improves your overall health and quality of life
Does Super Alpha Calm Work?
Super Alpha Calm claims to help you manage stress in a more effective way. It contains a combination of calming herb, and is supposed to improve sleep quality and treat insomnia. It is true that it contains some popular herbs, like lemon balm and passionflower, but the truth is that there is insufficient scientific evidence suggesting that supplementing with these herbs will reduce stress. Animal studies have shown some promise, but you cannot find many human studies to confirm the role of these herbs in reducing stress. Most of these herbs offer some benefits when taken in right doses, but Super Alpha Calm has a proprietary blend and offers no information about the amount of each ingredient. Moreover, some herbs like bergamot, petitgrain, and lavender are more likely to work when used in aromatherapy. Therefore, you should avoid this supplement and instead change your diet and lifestyle to manage stress in a better way. Super Alpha Calm is not going to help!
What Are The Ingredients of Super Alpha Calm?
Super Alpha Calm contains several different herbs. Here are some of its main ingredients:
- Passionflower: It works as a sedative and is supposed to help people deal with anxiety, nervousness, and insomnia. Too much of it can cause serious side effects.
- Lemon Balm: It works by calming your nerves and is likely to help improve cognition. You may or may not get enough of it from Super Alpha Calm.
- Lavender: Known for its stress-relieving properties, lavender is a popular herb but is more effective in aromatherapy.
- Petitgrain: It is supposed to reduce anxiety and improve your sleep quality, but it may not be that effective when taken in a supplement form.
- Bergamot: It is supposed to help you manage stress and feel relaxed, but there is not enough scientific evidence to support its use.
Does Super Alpha Calm Have Any Side Effects?
Super Alpha Calm contains a variety of herbs, so it is possible to experience some side effects when you first take the supplement. It contains passionflower, which may be beneficial when taken in the right amount. Too much of it can lead to nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and other gastrointestinal side effects.
Similarly, you may develop an allergic reaction when taking lavender, bergamot, or petitgrain. Many people have complained about experiencing heartburn after taking supplements that contain bergamot. You should not take Super Alpha Calm when you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Are There Any Customer Reviews For Super Alpha Calm?
Super Alpha Calm makes several big claims because it contains a variety of herbs. However, it seems that customers are not that happy with how it works. For instance:
I have been using this supplement for over two weeks now and it has done nothing to resolve my sleep problems. I am going to try something else.
I decided to use it to relieve stress, but I did not find it beneficial. It left me with serious nausea and gastrointestinal symptoms. I would not recommend it.
Does Super Alpha Calm Offer a Money-Back Guarantee?
Depending on where you go to place your order, you may or may not get a money back guarantee.
Where Can I Buy Super Alpha Calm?
You can buy it from several third-party retailers.